"Never Too Late" - Inspiration from 90 Year Old, Isolde McCullagh

17 May 2010

On Wednesday 19th May, inspirational 90 year old, Isolde McCullagh, from Bray, Co. Wicklow launches her new book, "Never Too Late - A Series of Exercises for All Ages".  The book gives a glimpse into the life of this fascinating lady, and all funds raised through its sale will go directly to the Cystic Fibrosis Association of Ireland (CFAI).

For years people have been asking Isolde what her secret was. Many have been amazed at her achievements and how she has overcome many of life's challenges, including winning the fight against cancer twice.  In her new book she shares numerous approaches to everyday living, and incorporates a series of exercises that help with movement, flexibility and overall health for people of all ages.

Isolde joined the League of Health as a member in Dublin in 1937, then trained in London and Dublin and taught for 70 years.  The League of Health is an organisation that was introduced to Ireland in 1934, and their emphasis on correct posture and natural movement is second to none and over the years has become recognised worldwide.

A few years ago, Isolde published her autobiography, "Isolde's Way", which tells of her long association with the League of Health, and later with Extend (Exercises for the older person and the less able of all ages), which she introduced into Ireland in 1984.  The proceeds from her autobiography went to Blackrock Hospice, and so far it has raised over €20,000.

After 70 years involvement in the League, Isolde says "I feel I have learnt so much and wanted to share it and so the idea for "Never Too Late" was conceived.  In this book I endeavour to show how I have coped with various setbacks, and the many ways in which you can improve the quality of your life, no matter what your age or gender."  She added "I believe what is said about only 30% of your life is from your genes; the other 70% is what you make of it."

Every year, the League of Health selects a chosen charity to benefit from fundraising they are involved with and this year, the Cystic Fibrosis Association of Ireland (CFAI) is the chosen charity.  To tie in with this, Isolde decided to donate the total proceeds from the sale of "Never Too Late" to CFAI.

Isolde can be an inspiration to us all, and to the League of Health motto "Movement is Life".

"Never Too Late" which is being launched in the Cystic Fibrosis Association of Ireland's Head Office in Rathmines, Dublin 6 at 4pm on Wednesday 19th May, will be available for €10 from www.cfireland.ie or by calling CFAI on (01) 4962433.